Powertrain Test Bench
Universal Powertrain Test Bench
The test bench is used for testing complete powertrains of conventional and hybrid construction in any configuration as well as single components like internal combustion engines, electric and wheel hub motors, gearboxes, clutches, axles and shafts. Vehicle test set-ups individually tailored to your requirements permit testing under practically real operating conditions.
In addition to the introduction and pick-up of torque through highly dynamic drive machines, on request, additional stimuli like roadway surface excitation using hydraulic actuators can be applied to the test item. Automation of the facility enables the configuration of test programmes and integration of active systems through communication interfaces like CAN and FlexRay.
Description of the Test Bench
The test bench consists essentially of two electric drive machines, hydraulic cylinders, fuel supply as well as electric
and pneumatic auxiliary drives. Climatic chambers with variable temperatures between -30°C and + 100°C and
corresponding relative humidity are used for testing individual components under various environmental conditions.
The test signals and loads to be applied are provided by road test measurements or generated online by a real-time
vehicle model on the test bench. This hardware-in-the-loop option permits simulation of dynamic vehicle states with
integration of active drive control systems on the test bench. An accompanying damage analysis can be carried out
in IABG's accredited materials testing laboratory.
Typical Applications / Tasks:
- Combination of rotatory and translatory tests on components and systems
- Endurance and polycyclic endurance testing of engines, gearboxes and components of the powertrain
- Start-stop testing
- Development-oriented testing of, for example, switching strategies and other drive control systems
- Testing the functions of chassis control systems, starting tests and clutch tests
- Infrastructure for running internal combustion engines:
Cooling capacity 450 kW, ventilation 30,000 m³/h, fuel supply system 20,000 litres
- 2 highly dynamic load machines:
Electric drive motors: nominal torque of 2000 Nm each, overload 4000 Nm 60s, nominal output of 240 kW each
- Switching pilot for operating gear stick, clutch and accelerator
- Measuring system for capturing, evaluating and reducing test bench and test item data
- Hydraulic actuators: 40 / 60 kN, 400 mm, 30 Hz, 5 g – can be extended as option
- Air conditioning of test items - optional
- Modelling of set-ups in CAD, optional stiffness optimisation with FEM
- Central oil supply with high performance
- Option for continuous operation 24/7
- Enclosed test bench area to ensure confidentiality
Wärtsilä Finland Oy, 2016
Gutor by Schneider Electric (Schweiz), 2015